Friday 6 November 2009

Welcome to Halcyon Daze!

So, I've got me a blog... now, what to do with it?

Well, this is going to be a painting and modelling and general-idea-thrashing blog for things Warhammer and 40K related. No overarching theme in particular (though my initial thoughts are certainly more Imperium-based than anyting else), just a place for me to throw WIPs and ideas up as and when they come to me.

Having been into the hobby for more years than I care to remember, and with the wonder that is the Internet introducing me to sites such as Warseer and The Great Crusade over the last few years, blogging my projects isn't a completely alien experience for me, and I've lost count of the number of failed painting and modelling logs I've initiated over the years and ultimately abandoned.

So what went wrong, and why will starting a new blog help?

There are in my mind two sorts of hobbyist. Those with a singular clear vision of what they want to achieve and the self discipline to achieve it, and those who get flashes of great ideas, throw themselves into them, but quickly get distracted as soon as a new idea bounces into their heads.

I'm definitely one of the latter.

With previous hobby blogs, I think my problem has stemmed from the fact that in creating a log on, for example, Warseer, I immediately restrict what I can post there. As soon as a new idea comes along, a new blog is necessary due to it not fitting neatly into my previously created blogs, and before you know it you've got four or five different blogs begging to be updated with no time to focus on any one project, let alone all of them.

Cue blog-death.

So my thinking is that with Halcyon Daze, I can create one, all-encompassing place for me to pursue multiple projects, posting progress as and when appropriate, without feeling that I'm neglecting a particular model/army/blog effort by throwing up something completely random and unrelated, or something that's been sat on a shelf for a while and caught my eye again.

My other hope for Halcyon Daze is that it'll give me somewhere to explore and wonder aloud about all the crazy little ideas that come to me from time to time and usually fester until I give in to the urge to abandon my current work and start investing in new models (before ultimately getting distracted again...). Perhaps by excorcising some of these demons on "paper", I can stymie the urge to drop everything and start heading down a different track. Perhaps.

So, what can be expected for the immediate, and not-so-immediate, future of Halcyon Daze?

As I already mentioned, my modelling efforts at the moment are distinctly Imperium-flavoured , and with a few different ideas knocking around, rather than choosing one particular theme or army, I'll bite the bullet and attempt to do all of them!

That being the case, coming soon to Halcyon Daze:
  • The Ecclesiarchy goes to war! A Ministorum-themed army, featuring Sisters, the Ordo Hereticus, priests, Redemptionists and as many other manic churchy-types as I can fit in.

  • Imperial Guard. I've got a small force of Vossies who are in dire need of some quality time with a paint brush, and as I'm never going to be able to bring myself to sell them, I might as well paint them!

  • Red Scorpions. I haven't done anything Marine flavoured for ages, and with a few choice bits acquisitions under my belt, I'll be breaking out the grey paint and throwing together a few of these guys.

  • Rogue Trader. I'm a big fan of the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader rpgs, and with lots of funky artwork and background to refer to, plus a few as-yet-unrealised modelling ideas that have been stewing for absolutely years, I'll be looking to throw together a small force to represent a Rogue Trader and his crew.

So, four different projects to get me going. Should keep me busy for a while I think. Hopefully there'll be a few people out there that find this blog interesting enough to put up with my occasional self-indulgent musings and find something that they like here, and for those that do, I'm looking forward to having you along for the journey!

So, until next time,

Anodyr

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, sir. I'm definitely one of the latter... I started a blog to focus on getting an Imperial Guard army, and lo, six months later, I'm in the middle of doing an all-terminator force, with the previous army's models sitting round a mate's house waiting for me to pick them up...

    It is nice to have your very own corner of the blogosphere too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think you just voiced exactly why I started my blog too.
    Looking forward to good things to come here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, thanks for becoming my first followers chaps! Certainly helps to know that someone out there is actually reading this thing! :)

    Secondly, yeah, as much as I love TGC (and Warseer to a lesser extent) producing single theme logs does me no favours whatsoever, mainly, I think, because I then feel the pressure to deliver on that theme. Warseer in particular doesn't help since they split the sci-fi forums - now if you've got an Imperial blog and want to show off a bit of chaos or whatever without starting a whole new blog, it actually feels like a) you're doing something wrong, and b) the people that might be able to give feedback will be looking in another forum entirely and won't even see it!

    While you could argue that you could use a "general purpose blog" to cover everything, the fact is that when you start your Tomb Kings/Thousand Sons/Alien vs Predator themed blog, at that point you don't expect to do something outside that theme...

    But anyway, here's to multipurpose blogs that expect nothing of us and offer everything in return! Cheers! :D

    ReplyDelete